Thursday, November 6, 2008

Broken Home

I overheard a conversation the other day where I heard someone say "what shame - he is from a broken home." I was a bit taken aback as I hadn't heard that term in quite a while.

Got me to thinking. What exactly is a broken home?

My husband and I divorced when our daughter was 12 years old. Is she the product of a broken home? I don't think so. In my opinion, our home was broken BEFORE the divorce; I fixed it by getting divorced. My daughter was/is much better off than she would have been if we had stayed together.

My parents never divorced, but in many ways, our home was broken. It was not particularly happy. It wasn't always broken; I remember many happy times. However, for many years my parents were married, but not happy.

Which home was broken? When I got married I fully intended to be married the rest of my life. It was not to be, however. In order to 'fix' myself and keep my daughter from 'breaking' I had to change the situation. By 'breaking' the relationship with my husband I 'fixed' our home for her.

What is a broken home?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind!